Image Map

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

King Ranch Chicken Mac 'n' Cheese

I don't know what it is about a pending full moon. But, I do not sleep.  Maybe it's all the beautiful light filtering into my room, or..... maybe I'm part Vampire {lol}.  When I was younger, like in high school, it only affected my dreams.  But, as I advance in age, I cannot sleep!  So, today I am sleepy.

I looked up 'moon phases' and looks like the moon is still waxing, which, from what I remember from 8th grade Science, means it's only getting bigger.  {I'm sure we learned about moon phases in other grades too, but Ms. Jordan is the only teacher I can remember talking about it.} Seems to me that I will be sleepy for awhile.

But, in more exciting news, I watched as the Great Britain Men's Gymnastic Team as the won their first medal!  According to the commentator, no one alive can remember the last time it happened.  I do like it when I get to watch a bit of Olympic history in the making.  They did a great job and deserved it!  They were originally awarded the Silver, but after an official inquiry by the Japanese, were bumped to Bronze.  But, hey, that's more than most people have, right.

Now, on the the recipe. You cannot imagine my excitement when I found this recipe.  To quote Southern Living "Combine these two cheesy Southern favorites in one satisfying meal both adults and kids will love."  So true!  It was a big hit with my family!


King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese

adapted from Southern Living/My Recipes


Ingredients

1/2 (16-oz) package elbow macaroni
2 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion
1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
1 (8oz) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream 
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350˚ and cook pasta according to package directions. 
In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta, cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Stir in the chicken and next 3 ingredients.  Add cooked, hot pasta and stir until well mixed. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11X7 baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar.  Bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes.




Shared with these fabulous parties: All My Bloggy Friends #7

3 comments:

  1. Macaroni and Cheese is good comfort food! I love the tasty twist :) Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Hoping you have a better night's sleep, too!

      Delete
    2. Sorry I'm late getting to everyone who linked up to last week's party ... This still looks great. :)I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll share this week! Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes

      Delete