Image Map

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sugar Scrub




Folks, it's another scorcher here in Texas.  Yesterday afternoon, our little thermometer on the front porch read 115˚.  We aren't doing too much in the fun department these days.  Just like hot dog up there, we are sticking close to the AC.

I am taking advantage of the crock pot today.  Some awesome concoction with chicken, rum, pineapples, and you guessed it: lime juice.  I'll post the recipe next week. So, stay tuned.

I have to tell you a funny about last night's meal.  I had enough forethought about me to go ahead and cook the meatballs mid-morning, thinking that would be a good way to keep from heating up the house in the late afternoon.  All I had to do once Maintenance Man got home was take them out of the fridge, add marinara; ok spaghetti, sauce, and serve.  One thing....when it's this hot in Texas and there is any moisture at all in the air, what happens?  Yup, mold.  Our lovely loaf of Italian bread had mold growing on the top.  YUCKKKO.  In the garbage.  So, next best thing?  Hot Dog buns!  Ha!

They were very tasty.  We served the meatballs on buns, topped with Parmesan (stinky) cheese and some grated mozzarella.  Well, of course, all of us except the 5 year old.  He ate plain meatballs.

Ok, now I know you're wondering what all this has to do with sugar scrub.  When it's this hot outside, I start noticing things.  Weird things.  Like how, after 12+ years in the nursing field, the lack of water in my diet, and now baking/cooking all the time, and washing pots, my hands look like I'm 90.


I can't believe I'm even going to show you this.  But, here is a picture of my hand from this morning.
Wow!  Whose hand is that?  Not good.

But, there is a very simple, and I do mean simple, solution to this:


I used the Lavendar Silk version of the Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap.  You can tell if you click the link, there are many flavors scents/colors to choose from.  I, for one, have a soft-spot for purple.  Thinking back, and looking at the picture, probably not the wisest of choices.

Anyway... what you'll need to do is fill your jar 3/4 of the way with white sugar.



Start pouring in the dish soap.


Continue pouring until the soap starts sinking to the bottom of the jar.  Stir, stir, stir like the wind, Bullseye.

It will eventually mix all together.


Kind of looks like silly putty to me.  I guess I'll need a better color next time.  But, it smells wonderful.

Oh yeah, and it works!


The minute I had that lovely compound, I plopped some right on my hand. I wet it with just some warm water and scrubbed until I didn't feel the grittiness of the sugar, then rinsed.

Again:


After just one application!  My hands feel silky soft now.  I think I'm going to just set that jar by my kitchen sink and swipe some every couple of days.

Now, this opens up a whole window of opportunities.  Brown sugar; epsom salt, vitamin E oils, hmmmm.  I just may find a use for the other 3 jars that came in that package of Mason jars.


Freedom Friday #8Terrific Tuesday #22

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I bet these would make great gifts, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. I know! I'm going to have to quit posting my gift ideas, lol. Maybe they won't see. :)

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to find recipe to make a good sugar scrub. Thanks for joining us for feed me friday!

    Natalie @ Great Contradictions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping out! I have been wanting to do one for a long time too. Finally, just bit the bullet and made it. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for joining in the bloglovin blog hop. I'm a new follower. I host a weekly link party on Wednesdays and I'd love for you to add me to your list of link parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.. amazing after picture!! I'll have to make me some of this!! Stopping by via the Feed Me Friday hop. I've followed you via email as well as twitter, facebook,pinterest, and any other networks we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I was so surprised by the after as well.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I so want to try this!!!Your newest facebook follower via blog hop! Please follow back!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll go now and check yours out. ;)

      Delete
  6. I love this simple idea! Living in the Southwest, I am always fighting skin issues:( I am trying this and in fact I believe I have all the ingredients in the house right now:) Oh that picture of the doggie with the fan, I am totally going to try to copy it, I love it! I feel like him right now. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How easy is that?!! Gotta try it. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and easy idea. Looks like a perfect addition to my weekly meme Seasonal Sundays. I'd love to have you join me.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm using this idea for a wedding shower favor. But I was wondering how long will the mixture last? Also is the consistency thicker or more soapy? I just tried making it in smaller 4oz jars and I can't seem to get the consistency right. (Or I'm just not sure of what it is.) Then I thought I should see if it gets weird after so long since I have a month till the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to use this as wedding shower favors but I had a couple questions. How long does this scrub stay useable? I started to make them but I have a month till the shower and I don't want them to get weird. Also while making them I had trouble with the consistency. I'm using smaller 4oz jars and I can't tell if it should be more soapy or more like wet sand. I guess it's a hard thing to explain. I love it though and my sister's excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      I am so sorry for the delay. I hope you were able to give them as gifts.

      Delete