Image Map

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dr Pepper Pulled Pork (take two)

I'm not one to let sleeping dogs (or babies) lie.  So, ever since I made the Spicy Shredded Pork that Maintenance Man liked, but said they were too hot, I've been wanting to try again.

Our local store had pork products on sale, so I bought a pork tenderloin and got another one for 1¢.

Enter...my crock pot.  Here's what you'll need:

4-6 pound Pork Tenderloin
Sea salt and pepper to taste
onion, quartered
ground mustard
garlic powder
brown sugar
apple cider vinegar
Dr Pepper (I've been told you can use any soda, but I lurve DP!)
barbecue sauce

Quarter you onion and place in the bottom of your crock-pot.  Rub the tenderloin with the salt and pepper and place on top of onion.  Pour the Dr. Pepper over the pork.  Mix together the ground mustard, garlic powder, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Mix in with the Dr Pepper in the pot.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours.  Flip the loin.  Cook for another 2-3 hours.
Take the pork out of the pot and place on a cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred the pork.
Place the it back into the pot and pour the barbecue sauce over it and mix well.
Cook for an additional hour.
Serve on warm buns and top with cheese.



Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

Ingredients

4-6 lb pork tenderloin
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
sea salt and pepper to taste
medium size onion, quartered
1 can Dr. Pepper
1 bottle of barbecue sauce

Directions

Place quartered onion in the bottom of the crock pot.  Rub salt and pepper over tenderloin and place on top of onions.  Pour 1 can of Dr Pepper over the pork.
Mix the mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar together and mix with Dr. Pepper in the pot.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours and flip the loin.
Cook for 2-3 hours more.  Take the tenderloin out and place on a chopping block.  Using 2 forks, shred the pork.  Place it back into the pot and cover with barbecue sauce.  Mix well.  Cook for 1 hour more.
Serve on warm buns and top with cheese.

This was the one!  Maintenance Man loved it!  He told me 'don't change a thing; keep it just the way it is'  Perfect.  {I'm secretly trying to figure a way to keep the chipotle flavor but leave out the heat.}

Shared with All My Bloggy Friends #5Show Me What You Got #24Weekend Potluck #27Terrific Tuesday #25Church Supper #48Freedom Friday #11Made Monday #30Scrumptious Sunday #21Whimsy Wednesdays #21Show and Share #50Uncommonly Yours #38Blog Stalking Thursday #51Sunday Round-Up #19Melt In Your Mouth Monday

18 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I'd like the spicy version too, (going to check it out) but I bet the kids would like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spicy version was Pioneer Woman's recipe, so you know it's great! But, it is spicy.

      Delete
  2. My fella will love this. Thank you for sharing it. I've pinned it and will be trying it soon, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that he will! Mine did. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This looks so yummy!

    PS: Thank you for linking up to Show Me What You Got Tuesday's @ ODH via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/07/live-show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-24.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you.

      And thank YOU for hosting such a great party!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! How unique! I love Dr. Pepper and bet that flavor is awesome. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect, I love pulled pork and this sounds so delicious:) I know our hubbies are so happy we blog because they get to be the Guinea pigs, Lol. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe at Freedom Fridays.
    Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my husband is such a good sport! Nice to see you again.

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! I've been wanting to experiment with new pulled pork recipes, and I think this one needs to be added to the list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had been putting off making pulled pork forever because I thought it was hard! It's not hard at all.

      Delete
  7. Pulled Pork is one of my favorite things to cook, but I've never tried Dr Pepper Pulled Pork before. Strange since I am completely addicted to Dr Pepper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pulled pork and this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a soda drinker ... but on a very rare occasion, I do enjoy a Dr. Pepper. I love pulled pork and this looks phenomenal! Thank you for sharing at "All my Bloggy Friends".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum. Thank you very much for linking this in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't drink sodas that often and don't think that I have ever had a dr. pepper but might have to by it for the recipe.. Found you on Food on Friday. Newest follower here. We have a linky party that starts up later this evening if you would like to link up a recipe.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete