Image Map

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pound Cake

When I hear the words Pound Cake, am I the only one who thinks of Van Halen's hit? I'm sure I am. But anyhoo. I bought some beautiful strawberries this weekend. I needed something to put them on.


While researching the perfect pound cake recipe, I learned something interesting. This buttery cake got its name based on the amount of ingredients you used: a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, and a pound of sugar. Whew, that must have been one big cake.
I did not find one recipe that I thought would fit, so I guess this is my pieced together recipe for pound cake.


You will need:
Flour
Sugar
Vanilla
Eggs
Butter
Shortening
Salt
Baking Powder
Milk


Heat your oven to 350°, and grease/flour your bundt pan. I haven't done this step since the invention on Baker's Joy. I. Love. This. Stuff. :)


In a small bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.


In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, and 3 cups sugar until light and fluffy.


Stir in 1 TBS vanilla.

Don't make fun of my mixing bowl. I realized after I started that my large bowl was in the fridge with strawberry mousse in it. But, I know you're secretly jealous of it.
Add 1 egg at a time until you have used all 5.



Beat in flour mixture, alternating with 1 1/4 cup milk.


Transfer batter to prepared pan. This was so good. Oh, no, I didn't taste the raw batter.. ok, yes I did, and it was good.

Bake in preheated oven 80-90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment