Image Map

Monday, May 21, 2012

Typography

Another awesome trend in decor these days is Typography.  I blog-stalked for some ideas on how to make my own.  Almost all the blogs I found, started the DIY with "go to your local craft store and purchase some paper mache letters."  Well, I'm here to tell you, I don't have a 'local' craft store.  I have a distant craft store..almost 100 miles to the nearest craft store.  le sigh.   I know, I know, you're thinking, but Dana, there is alway online shopping.  BTDT!  I bought initial letters for our stockings over Christmas and they ended up being like an inch tall.  I have to see it.

So, I made my own.  I had an old 2x6 laying around.  We had actually cut it down, and I had painted it already for another craft. I  used it anyway. Again...rebel. 

I made my letters with Photoshop using good ole Arial Bold font at about 500pt.  My letters are about 5" tall. 


I copied the letters to my board. 

Then, I cut the letters out using a jig-saw.  A scroll saw would have been easier; as I was informed by my Maintenance Man as he was helping me with the 'A' cut-out. 

Here they are, nevertheless.  I used 60 grit sandpaper and sanded all the letters by hand.  For some reason, the wood was pretty torn up after cutting, so I needed the course-grit paper.  

I used an extremely cheap primer (like 1.89 cheap because it didn't scan when the cashier scanned it :oD) and Valspar Metallic spray paint.

After one coat of primer:
 
Then, I applied two coats of the Valspar paint.

To hang them, I just gently bent a soda can tab and hot glued it on the back.


You can see I left the back unfinished.  Very rustic. :)

Here they are hanging behind my stove.



I can tell in this picture that I must have had some little helpers in my paint.  Those fingerprints are not visible IRL, how strange.

Sharing: Serendipity and Spice's Manic Monday, C.R.A.F.T's Making Monday Marvelous, Making the World Cuter's Making the World Cuter Monday,  Sumo's Sweet Stuff's Market Yourself Monday, Our Delightful Home's Show Me What You Got, 

1 comment:

  1. Really DIY and I love them! I would never have the right tools either. It's great that you carried on and have these great letters to show for it. Bravo!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete