Image Map

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

King Ranch Chicken

After a couple of weeks in the 90's, we are now experiencing a wonderful, rainy, cooler day.  I thought it would be a great day to use up some of that cooked chicken.  My mom taught me to cook King Ranch Chicken when I was very young.  She didn't use a recipe when she taught me, so I have no idea where the original came from.  I can only assume that it originated from the biggest ranch in Texas; The King Ranch.  It is a great casserole no matter where it came from.  It can be made ahead of time and frozen, too.


King Ranch Chicken

Ingredients:

1-3 cooked chicken breasts (depending on size), or 1 whole chicken, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream  of chicken soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes
cheese
yellow corn tortillas


My family does not like chunky tomatoes and I didn't have any Rotel tomatoes, so I'm using Salsa this time.

Directions:

Combine soups and tomatoes (or salsa)

Shred the chicken.  I keep mine pretty big. 
Grate the cheese and line a greased baking dish with quartered tortillas. 
Layer the soup mixture with the chicken and cheese; continuing until everything is gone; ending with cheese. 
Bake at 325˚ for one hour or until bubbly.

 In hind site, don't use salsa. It was still good, but didn't have the spice that it needed.  So, if you decided to make it, please use the Rotel tomatoes. :)
Linked to: Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms' Melt in your Mouth Monday  Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper  ,Fantastic Frugal Foods from Justa's Kitchen's Fantastic Foods Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment